Thursday, December 17, 2009

Casting Around the Blogosphere...

1) The aforementioned Andrew Earles has a book out about Hüsker Dü. I pretend to like Hüsker Dü, so I'll pretend I might buy this. Maybe If I had something other than Zen Arcade, or if I felt the need to listen to Zen Arcade more than once a year, and that out of an obligation similar to what Lester Bangs felt for The Who's Happy Jack, I could maintain that pretense through a paragraph. Nevertheless, I wish him good sales, as this is the sort of project a writer goes into with reverence.

2) A quick scan of Fluxblog yields the following knowledge:
  • Charlotte Gainsbourg working with Beck is an "enigma in itself."
  • Anxiety comes in two varieties, good and bad.
  • A member of Portishead has a side project called Beak.
  • For the Fiery Furnaces to perform crowd-pleasing rock shows is abnormal.
  • Bands that are about to get all over the coming wave of 90's nostalgia are giving themselves appropriately Zen-bizzarre names, like "Boat."
  • People are fixating on R. Kelly yodeling in a song.
  • I can't read anything about a band/artist named Gigi. It just sounds too stupid, no matter how many laudatory adjectives are sprinkled like M&M's in it.
  • It is possible to say that a band that consists of "super-hard working veterans" has put on "a very enjoyable rock show" and yet worry about being condescending to them.
3) A woman who looks like one of the members of Monty Python in drag can record an album of all covers with a tautology for a title, and it can become #1 on Amazon.

No comments: