Friday, January 15, 2010

Rating My CD's: I Will Not Sell Five Copies

3. The Aliens -- Astronomy for Dogs

Indie music promises to be one of two things: either an aesthetic accomplished workout for the mind's ability to appreciate music, or a better mousetrap than mainstream sludge, rocking harder, being more danceable. The latter is the cachet of punk and electro; the former, the self-conceit of most of the un-listenable music of this decade.

A halcyon time existed in days of yore, when we all loved the Beta Band, equivalent to the period when Jack Black got second billing to John Cusack. It has passed. If pressed, I could summon the will to make myself buy whatever song that was in High Fidelity that made us sit back in awe of its masterful pop-ness, the song that birthed hipsterism as we know it. But then I might wonder why I wouldn't buy "Let's Get it On" for much the same reason. There's such a thing as being too complete in your collection.

All of which is prologue to and avoidance of discussing Astronomy for Dogs, by several reunited Beta Band members calling themselves The Aliens, because after two paragraphs of dull snark I can't think of any more apt description of this record than "boring." I got it free with my Magnet subscription two years ago because they were out of the Nick Cave album I really wanted, and I figured that at best it could inspire me to join the ranks of those who can say "Why, of course I have The Three EP's by the Beta Band. Don't You?" No such luck.

Oh, they're trying. This is the kind of disc that provokes It's-It's reviews: "It's Electro, It's Pop, It's Better Than Having Your Wang Smashed in the Door of a '79 Buick LeSabre Repeatedley While Listening to And Out Come The Wolves!" All kinds of vim and vigor romp gaily through the songs, and numerous genuflections to whimsy made by inserting "We are the Aliens...We are the Aliens..." into the holes of several tracks. But the effect, lying somewhere between "enh" and "huh?", does not warrant any more of my time.

Grade: C

No comments: