Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Have No Idea Who Jay Reatard is...

...so I don't know if his death is a terrible tragedy that bespeaks a coming enshrinement as Great Dead Rock n' Roll Star or just one of those warnings to kids about the danger of drugs (yeah, first assumption, and Ted Leo may consider me suitably chastened if it turns out to be wrong. When a 29-year-old male in the music business dies in his sleep, it's the smart way to bet). I've been checking out some of his videos on Pitchfork TV, and I still don't have an answer.

I mean, I've heard of the cat, seen him sitting in a bathtub surrounded by 45's, but never heard him until today. "DOA" sounds good, "It Ain't Gonna Save Me," less so, but nothing I can fault. Seems a shame.

So I guess it would be really inappropriate to ask if his name is really pronounced like "retard," huh?

No comments: