Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Lemme be Honest...

I like Andrew Earles a lot. He's funny, and he's forgotten more about popular music than I'll ever know. But I can't pretend that I have the slightest idea what he's talking about in this piece, because he's forgotten more about popular music than I'll ever know. And I'm pretty sure I'm older than he is. Hell, I still think it's kinda funny that the Feelies covered "Everyone Has Something To Hide 'Cept for Me and My Monkey." My record collection is abysmal compared to the "perfect" one he's been building. Here it is, in it's entirety:

Actually, I think the whole song is pretty funny...
So I can't claim claim the kind of authority that's necessary to denounce other people's tastes as objectively ridiculous. And I'm not sure I even want to. Sure, damning the folly of others hasn't stopped being fun, and there's certainly a fair bit of pretentious hipsterism that I will hold as a sacred task to slap around like the proverbial red-head stepchild. But I can't possibly say that the stuff I review here is truly, objectively, good. Or bad. Or indifferent. This is all about me, and what I like. I will never be an expert. Just a fan.

No comments: