Monday, March 14, 2011

Wye Not?

The actual Wye Oak was the state tree of Maryland. It was 96 feet tall, spread 119 feet into the air, and its trunk measured 31 feet 10 inches in diameter. At the time of its destruction in a thunderstorm in 2002, it was 460 years old.

So there's a little hometown pride in me when discussing Wye Oak, the band. Not only are they from Maryland, they're from Batlimore. And they're a duo, a reverse White Stripes. Sure, they're folk-rock-dream pop, which normally induces boredom headaches, but after I got the free Starbucks download of R.E.M.'s new single (which isn't bad at all), I'm in a more charitable mood. Also, one of their songs is free on iTunes right now.

I think the song is "Holy, Holy," which ChartAttack singles out for praise in an otherwise disappointed review of their new album (which has a pretty bad name: Civilian). If I like, maybe I'll check out last year's EP (I love EP's) and make up my own mind.

UPDATE: I was right. The song was "Holy, Holy" and it is good. And Free.

No comments: