Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Space vs. MySpace

A while ago, say 2005, I was the bassist of a band that did not exist. Which is to day, we practiced every Sunday for the better part of five months, and we plunked down for a rehearsal space, and I bought a 50-watt bass amp, but we never played a show and never had a name. Creative indifferences and all of that. Nobody's fault, and no ill will. A thousand garage bands meet the same fate every month, I'm sure.

Well the bandleader has a new crew, Tell You Monday, and they have a Facebook profile, and they're playing their first gig down in Southern Maryland this weekend. I won't be able to make it, but I wish them well. What's interesting to me is that this is the first encounter I recall of a band hawking on Facebook instead of the inevitable MySpace. That's the one function MySpace has managed to hold onto, isn't it? Does every band still have a MySpace as a matter of course?

I mean, check out Yuck, the hip young gunslingers fresh out of Cosmopolistan, which Under the Radar hails as having "managed to craft a surprisingly accomplished album for a band that's only a little more than a year old." They've got a MySpace. And a year-old "tour" going (when does "playing gigs" become "touring"?). And a self-produced record out on Fat Possum.

What does this mean? I don't know. Other than I think Tell Me Monday needs a MySpace. And, you know, luck.

No comments: