Friday, April 02, 2010

The Worst Music Site on the Internet

I give a lot of crap to the music trend mags, and they deserve it. So long as this blog stands, I will continue to do so, even if, as I have admitted, I am something of a hypocrite in doing so.

But there is a place that is worse than all of these, and for entirely different reasons. It's not bad because it's essentially a clearing-house for music advertisements, however cleverly disguised, or because its hipsterism basks in the so-five-minutes-ago that all hipsterism basks in.





No, this place is worse because its hipsterism doesn't even have the liveliness of wearing a shirt that says PANTS. It's so not-over itself that that it sinks under itself. It's the place I can only spend a day at without wanting to napalm.

I speak, of course, of the Onion AV Club, home of the most miserable nerds to ever argue about how lame stuff is. I suppose some people find it intellectually challenging to slog through 300 comments of hate. To me, it just reminds me of hanging out with stoners in college, except they're not high, and neither am I:

Planet Terror for me. Death Proof was boring as hell.

Of course, I won't be watching either again because I know Planet Terror would lose all it's value when I know what's coming. Death Proof would be just as boring, if not moreso, on a second viewing.
 Death Proof ain't my favorite Tarantino flick either (although the soundtrack rocks), but note how there's nothing in that comment that adds anything to the conversation. It's not even pithy. It evokes nothing so much as Screwtape's definition of "flippancy":

Among flippant people the Joke is always assumed to have been made. No one actually makes it: but every serious subject is discussed in a manner which implies that they have already found a ridiculous side to it. . . . It is a thousand miles away from joy: it deadens, instead of sharpening, the intellect; and it excites no affection between those who practice it.
 I haven't burned any bridges at the place, so I think I'm going to try and annoy them.

No comments: