Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Greatest

Lists are tedious. They just are. Whatever you include is wrong. Whatever you disinclude is wrong. It's why I don't write them. The X most Blah of Whatever format will never ever appear on the Notion. Unless I change my mind.

That said, sometimes it can be done right, and over at Big Hollywood, Ben Shapiro show the best way to write a list feature: extensively. First, he issued a 10 Most Overrated Directors of All Time that had a few directors I quite like (Scorcese? Really?). Then in response to the obvious response, he put his money where his mouth was and gave us the Directors He Liked, including explaining why certain guys (it's a sausage-fest in here, ladies, sorry) didn't make the list. I don't know that I'm about to go rent the movies of William Wyler, but I'm appreciating the fullness of his thought.

No comments: