Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rating My CD's: Angular Boredom

43. Modest Mouse -- We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank


Sometimes, when I review a CD, I'm stuck for something to say about it. I'm not really in the mood to listen to it, and repeated listenings to get myself in the mood inspire nothing in me. When that happens, blogging lulls occur. I start buying mp3's on iTunes, vinyl at record stores, anything to pump up my energy for a task whereof the taste has left me.

Today, I say the hell with it. This CD is not very good. I can tell because I'm bored with the very process of discussing it.

And I'm surprised this time. Sure, even I knew I was in for a labor writing about Ilad and The Good, The Bad, and the Queen. But back when I first bought this CD, I actually kind of liked it. I've had albums that I disliked at first, only to have them grow on me. I can't recall another occasion where I liked something well enough to say that it was "pretty damn good" only to be sick of it eighteen months later.

This music is too ponderous for me, too cleverly heavy, too "angular." In short, it commits all the sins of Good News for People Who Like Bad News while retaining none of that album's graces. The result is that this album feels like work, and if I wanted to work at music writing, I wouldn't be keeping a volume of unedited snark about all my possible employers out here on teh Intertubes where everyone can see it.

So begone, Modest Mouse. Your name describes your output too accurately to warrant further consideration.

Grade: C

No comments: