Monday, November 01, 2010

"And They Sucked at Altamont, Too!"

Lileks confronts the Beast:

“You listened to Starship?” the photographer said.


My wife said she had. The photog looked at me. “You a Starship fan?”

“No sir,” I said.

“Really? Aw dude, c’mon, We Built This City!”


“They didn’t build anything,” I said. “The idea of Grace Slick singing ‘they’re always changing corporation names’ when the band had three names is just the start of my problems, and ‘Marconi does the Mambo’ is the other.”

“Yeah, you’re right, it was Jefferson Airplane, then Jefferson Starship, then just Starship.”

“I hated them all,” I said. “‘White Rabbit’ is the Bolero of rock.”

“Okay well I can see you got opinions!”

Family by now is cringing. Yes, Daddy has opinions.
I always wondered who on earth ever liked "We Built This City". It surprises me not at all to discover they work at Disney.

No comments: