Tuesday, March 02, 2004

Music Update



Yesterday's post has inspired a bit of a retreat from the politics of the minute to something more personal. I haven't devoted as much of this blog to music as I would like, for a couple of reasons:


1) Haven't really found the format that I like. I can write a review and post it, but there hasn't been a regular rythmn of things. Reviewing music takes time, thought, and repeated listens, and I don't always have those things available. Plus, they'll get lost amid the rest of my screeds. This is all a subset to my larger concerns about the design for the site. I've been pondering a switch to BloggerPro.

2)I haven't really had new stuff coming in. SST's usual pokiness has been compounded by the fact that the Bad Brains LP I ordered is out of stock, so my January purchase is on backorder. Financial considerations led me to abstain on new purchases for February.

3)I've been trying to make the switch from an amateur critic to an amateur creator. I've got a brand name, an aesthetic, and some songs. What I don't really have is a band or again, the time to devote to it. Mayhaps that will change come summer.


Today, after thinkng on yesterday's post and reading old reviews at Punk Fix, I surfed over to eBay and bought the Rites of Spring album on vinyl. Reading Dance of Days made me consider the value of Dischord products. I've been meaning to start buying as soon as my last SST record arrived. Now I'm done waiting. I'm making the plunge into emo. I'm thinking that early emo will be more substantial and authoritative than modern practitioners like Dashboard Confessional. Here's hoping I'm right.

No comments: