Friday, February 06, 2004

I Ran So Far Away, Couldn't Get Away...



Lileks has inspired me again, this time with his songs and memories of the 80's bleat. I have followed a path with regard to 80's music that runs similar to the old Path of Faith: listening, unlistening, and understanding. When I was a skinny lad in Annapolis, I watched the 80's on MTV, not feeling any particualar affinity for what I was hearing, not knowing what other options their where. When I was a snot-nosed teen and young adult, I rebelled against the New Wave and called a flashy, wussy bourgeois pile of suck, and clung to my British Invasion and Punk records as "real music."

Then I saw 24 Hour Party People, and listened to "Personal Jesus" about 23 trillion times during the run of Getting Away With Murder (the director was a big Depeche Mode fan). Then I threw down on both Joy Division albums. I now see the bleakness, the ennui, as the logical step after the abortive Punk revolt. I can now add some of the better New Wave bands as part of my ever-expanding palette.

But Poison still sucks.

No comments: